Jaguar Land Rover Develops Virtual Technologies To Enhance Performance Driving And Reduce Distraction
- Jaguar Land Rover reveals its ‘Jaguar Virtual Windscreen’ concept that will aid road and track driving
- Hazard, speed, navigation data and the racing line could all be projected onto the entire windscreen.
- Jaguar Land Rover demonstrates virtual imaging technology that could offer drivers a spectacles-free 3D image instrument cluster, replacing the rear view mirror
- ‘Jaguar Virtual Windscreen’, 3D cluster and gesture control are part of a suite of new concept technologies that will reduce driver distraction
Whitley, UK: Jaguar Land Rover is creating cutting-edge technologies to develop new ways to give drivers higher quality, life-like graphics and information that will offer an enhanced ‘virtual’ view of the road or race track.
The ‘Jaguar Virtual Windscreen’ concept uses the entire windscreen as a display so the driver’s eyes need never leave the road. High quality hazard, speed and navigation icons could all be projected onto the screen together. For performance drivers, imagery that could aid track driving includes:
- Racing line and braking guidance. Virtual racing lines on the windscreen appear to be marked on the track ahead for optimum racing line, with changes in colour to indicate braking guidance.
- Ghost car racing. Improve your lap times by racing a ‘ghost car’ visualisation of your car on a previous lap, or compete against a lap uploaded from another driver.
- Virtual cones can be laid out on the track ahead for driver training. These could be moved as the driver’s ability improves.